A Personal Story of the Halal Food Industry in Newham

1 Gage Road, E16 4PP
1950

About this record

This record outlines moments in the changes of Halal cuisine within Newham over the last century.

Halal is an Arabic word that translates to “permissible” in English and is commonly used to denote the method of slaughter of animals eaten by of the Islamic faith.

This Halal story of Newham starts with Haji Riaz Fazl Daad who came to London in the 1950s and was the first person who supplied Halal meat. He started with a grocery shop, located in Aldgate, and then moved towards Barking Road and Plaistow.

He used to travel to slaughterhouses outside London, hire the place, and slaughter the animals in a halal manner, to then come back to Newham and supply the local area. People would queue outside the shop in Plaistow every weekend to stock up on meat supplies for the week.

You can hear his nephew remembering this time by clicking below.

Gage road was very prominent in the halal food movement within Newham. It was a hub from where Mr Sethi initiated his halal meat mission. 1 Gage road caught Mr Sethis eye in the 60s, so he travelled to Trafalgar square with the intention of buying it on auction.

He walked away having pocketed the property for £1365, which in today’s money is worth a rather large amount. This was then turned into a local grocery and meat shop to supply the demand of halal meat and groceries in Canning town.

Gage road was very prominent in the halal food movement within Newham. It was a hub from where Mr Sethi initiated his halal meat mission. 1 Gage road caught Mr Sethis eye in the 60s, so he travelled to Trafalgar square with the intention of buying it on auction.

He walked away having pocketed the property for £1365, which in today’s money is worth a rather large amount. This was then turned into a local grocery and meat shop to supply the demand of halal meat and groceries in Canning town.

Map from 1950 showing the location of 1 Gage Road
Map 2021 showing the location of Gage Road

Iftikhar Ahmad, CEO of Kebabish restaurants, started in the 1960s near the Tate and Lyle factory in Canning Town. Iftikhar speaks about the hardship faced in the 1970s, facing racism and difficult financial times. However, growing up in East Ham, Iftikhar opened his Kebabish in Green Street, and introduced the “chicken donor” in 1983.

Iftikhar changed the landscape of restaurants by creating a theatre kitchen where the food was cooked in front of the guests.

Scroll to the sides below to see a couple more stills from the film Roots of the Curry House produce by Revive FM for Newham Heritage Month.

Additional record details

  • Date created: 1950
  • Location: 1 Gage Road, E16 4PP

Heritage newsletter

We would like to send you monthly emails spotlighting heritage content in Newham, as well as updates and opportunities to be involved in next year's festival. Be the first to hear about new projects, funding opportunities and ways to be involved.

1 - 31 May 2021